Monday 31 October 2011

Working as a room attendant

If you are a student, recently moved to a foreign country and not able to speak the language fluently, or if you simply need work whilst you are finding something better, then you could get a job as a room attendant in a hotel. I did this myself for 2 years when I was in college.
The thing that suited me at the time was the working hours. Because I was working on my studies in college, I could only devote a little time each week to a job. Working in a hotel was a great choice, because hotels are busiest in the college vacation times and at weekends. The hours were not too long either so I only needed to work from 9am-2pm, meaning I had a good portion of the afternoons still free.
The pay for room attendants is not so great. You will probably only be paid at the minimum wage, as I was when I worked in this position. If you want to stay within the hotel cleaning business, then it might be a good idea for you to listen out for promotions that are available as these are the positions where you will be able to get better pay.
The room attendant job requires that you clean everything in each hotel room really well. Sometimes you will need to prepare a room for a new guest. This includes putting clean towels, clean sheets, new toiletries if the hotel provides these, as well as cleaning everything that you can in the room. Other rooms that you will need to clean are those that are still being used by guests. The guest will probably go out for the day, and so you will be able to clean the deserted room alone. I was always careful to leave everything that was not owned by the hotel exactly as it was. Sometimes, people would leave their things on the floor or untidy. I would leave these as they are as many people don’t appreciate a stranger touching their things, even if you are just trying to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have anything to share? Feel free to leave a comment then :)