Tuesday 26 April 2011

Recipe Review: Soulful Basa Fish Curry!



I have never been a hard core non vegetarian, always liked to eat in small quantities and few times in a week or say a month. So, when I got to know that my husband has quit eating chicken and red meat, I was not so shocked. He was not accustomed to eating fish at the time of our wedding as he does not like its smell. But gradually he has also developed his fish tasting buds.

We used to eat some Indian fish fillets like Bengal Carp (Singhara), Black King Fish and sometimes Rohu (not so much as it has small bones). Few days ago I went to the departmental store and found a new batch of frozen products were there. Just by curiosity I took a pack, and it was of Basa Fish fillets, I was reluctant to buy it as was not sure about its taste and was quite expensive also. When I asked the salesperson about that particular fish, he said it is a type of Cat fish mainly popular in Vietnam. I was happy to know about the seller’s knowledge, and then after thinking for a while, I purchased it.

It was kept in my freezer for about a week, and then finally one day I took it out and decided to cook it. While I was defrosting it, it did not give me any sticky feeling as I used to get while washing fish products. It was so fresh and intact that I was filled with good thoughts about the high quality of the product.

I decided to make it with some special recipe, and I marinated it with the paste of onion, garlic, roasted cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon, cardamom and one green chilly. I marinated it for 15-20 minutes. Then I deep fried it and dried the extra oil in the tissue paper.




I prepared the gravy stereotyped by adding onion, garlic, ginger paste and some powdered dried spices. However, the aroma of the curry was undoubtedly much tempting and then finally I added the fish fillets. I was exceeding much scared about the fish pieces, to get scrambled and tossed it extremely slowly.

I kept it cooking for more than 10 minutes, and it was so funny to see that the fish fillet was still intact. Now, the next thing was to serve it, and when my family tasted it, I was waiting, for the response to coming, but no body uttered a single word. I was so confused, but I could see that everyone was relishing the meal. Suddenly, my husband complimented that the dish was incredible and then I could not resist myself and tasted a bit, and honestly it was something extraordinary. It has got no tangy taste that usually a fish has it was just melting inside the mouth.

I will surely say that it was the best fish I have ever tasted and cooking it was such a relishing experience. Really value for money!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have anything to share? Feel free to leave a comment then :)